10/23/07

Virtuosity

At last a real human advance, well from my point of view of course, but let me tell you two anecdotes to enlighten what I’m trying to tell:
First, I hope everybody by now have tried the Nintendo Wii, if not I urge you to do so, I don’t mean to buy it, you can self invite to a friends house, maybe your nephews have one or in my country case go to a public plaza to rent one for a hour or so, then you will experience the tip of the iceberg in true motion driven virtual reality, I played Golf, Box and bowling, it was a awesome experience you can’t played sited like all paradigm video games up to now , you have to do it standing, you use you hands (sometime both) and every single movement is registered by the Wii, and it translates to a unique and personal movements that can not be copied by someone else, so if you do a little twist in you finger while bowling you will see a an effect in the ball while running down the table, the same happens to golf , baseball and everything else you played there.
Ok now to the anecdote part, one of my nephews told me that he went playing to a friends house, with other kids ageing from 9 to 20 but the cool part was that my nephews friend grandmother a woman of 70 years old was invited to play, she played box in the Wii and in 2 rounds she knocked out the guy, you can never believe what was the expression on her face she was like ecstatic.
The other thing I learned comes from SL, I met some people that have been tied to a wheel chairs most of their lives, some are young some are old, and being in SL, they can enjoy activities that of normal life and more, like dancing, running , driving around and even flying.
So anybody is entitled to an opinion about these times where it seems technology is displacing traditional activities, but I think good things came out of it too.

No comments: